I wrote this post a few days ago - when it was actually National Running Day, but life got in the way and I forgot to press "Publish"
As the Garden of the Gods 10-Miler gets closer my pre-race anxiety only increases. That said, National Running Day crossed my calendar (and Facebook feed) at an ideal time. I run for so many reasons, only one of them is to compete. That's exactly what I need to bare in mind as Sunday gets closer...and closer...and the butterflies in my stomach get increasingly crazy.
Here are a few of the many reasons I run:
- What’s not to love?
- It’s free (which is important when you’re a young government employee).
- It’s freeing. Just me, a trail, and maybe a running buddy.
- It allows me to eat a lot…like enough to feed a small rhino.
- Brutal hill repeats are a great way to make friends.
- I love the sense of exploration.
- I’m a super competitive person and running allows me to let it loose.
- No matter how big a problem seems when I leave the house, after a run everything seems manageable.
- To achieve that amazing feeling of accomplishment and exhaustion.
- Neon gear is pretty swell.
- I have really big feet, might as well put them to good use.
- We are fortunate enough to live in one of the most beautiful places on Earth - running puts me in the mindset to take it all in.
- Even if every single step is uncomfortable, or even downright hurts, I go to bed looking forward to my next run.